Friday, May 13, 2005

Gwen Mendyk Appreciation Day

As you all know I've been pretty sick lately. Sore throat, tooth ache, ear ache (oh good, I need to get a cavity pulled huh? Great, I can live with this for two months...). Plus, Belmont chewed my nice electric razor up, and I can't find my old Mach 3. So I've been shaving with Gwens old razor, but that hurts so much I've been stuck with a crappy goatee that wouldn't look good on a sixteen year old. Well, last night I get home. Gwen is fast asleep but after waking her up to tell her good night I go to take a shower. Waiting for me in the bathroom is a new razor, shaving gel and a bottle of ear drops. Plus a really nice card.
So I'm mkaing today Gwen Mendyk Appreciation day. Here are some favorite Gwen memories.

The saturday after my last day of school, Gwen told me that she had to work. But when I woke up that morning she told me that she really didn't. She had planned a day together topped of with a trip to The Melting Pot a fondue resteraunt in St Paul.

The time she was telling me the Knock Knock joke about that bannana but she kept saying orange instead, and refused to admit she had it wrong.

One time when I went to visit her in Winona she had just gotten back from eating lunch with her dad. But she had picked me up a taco salad with no tomatoes, light lettuce and extra cheese. Just how I like it.

Why does Snoop Dogg carry an umbrella? Fo' drizzle! ("Our" joke)

Gwen valiantly trying to get Belmont to speak. No matter how long she tries, he just doesn't get it.

Anyway, you should all say something nice about Gwen in the comments, because she deserves it!

5 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, my first impulse is to say "Gwen who?", but that may not be quite right.
The fact is that as a parent it's very difficult to watch your children going out into the world all alone. You just hope that there is someone out there that they can depend on and can lean on in tough times. It means a lot to us that Ben has that. And we are very thankful for Gwen.
YF
I'm also very thankful that she always votes in my silly polls and doesn't make fun of me....at least to my face.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I agree with the above and also I am envious of Gwen's hair. Also, she told me I could go ahead and pass gas if I needed to.

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is that Gwen is funny, gorgeous, and friendly. What's not to like?
Beany and family

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh of course Gwen is the center of the universe - but I am her father and therefore not totally objective. She is a very hard worker and does not give up easily (its the Cub fan in her) and yet very pragmatic and flexible when these traits are called for. I do believe she can tackle any problem and come up
with a reasonable solution which is all anyone can ask. She is also very sensitive and cares about people and animals, probably equally, with in this context is OK as life is life. In general Gwen - SO FARE SO GOOD, and a day for recognizing 'YOUR QUALITY' is long over due -
Good idea Ben !!!!!!!!
Good Idea.

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is sometimes difficult to put into words how you feel about someone without the usual latitudes. But not taking the opportunity to say Gwen, has made her Mother, not to mention her Father proud would be a shame.


Having a child is a blessing in itself, and an awesome responsibility. There are joyous times, difficult times and down right scary times. But there is always love. As a parent you often wonder if you are doing the right thing are you pushing to hard or not enough? Are you being sensitive to what your child really needs? Are you emphasising what is right for the child or just yourself? Have you done everything you can to prepare your child to go out into the world on their own. In the end you do the best you can and hope its enough.

I think we have been extremely lucky Gwen, has made it easy on her parents. She seems to have learned what we wanted to teach her, which was to love and respect others, believe in yourself, take responsiblity for your actions and with hard work a deligence you can achieve your dreams. Also, to believe in God, He makes all things possible.

Many times Gwen, has impressed me with her maturity and blessed me with her love. She takes intiative and works hard. She sets goals and
makes plans to achieve them. She prooved in High School, in making decesions and in college. And continues to do so in her Adult life.

I agree, that we can only hope that our children find someone that they can share their love and dreams with. That they will love, respect and care for one another. And together they can achieve whatever they want out of life.

I am truly thankful for the gift of Gwen and thinks she a wonderful person. I am proud to be her Mother. I look forward to seeing her life unfold in the future.

I cannot believe this, I think I'm even more sentimental than DAD.

Love Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home