Sunday, May 01, 2005

I'm helping!

Now, let's see if we can't get this Disney Princess thing going. Last time around I clearly sheparded Shan Yu to victory after touting him over Sykes in the first round. Lets see if we can't narrow down the field here. And by "here" I mean you should click HERE and check it out.

Jasmine? Duh.
Alice? Sure. (Sidenote- Unless I'm skipping someone here, Alice was the youngest lead female charcter until Lilo. Discuss.)
Belle? Well, your movie gets nominated for Best Picture you probably can be in the contest.
El Winey? Who the hell is that?
Cinderella can go in, but fairy queens are a dime a dozen.
Widow Tweed? Uh...sure why not. She'll make good first round fodder.
I never saw Hercules and I've never seen a Megara character in the parks...but I guess you gotta include her.
Esmeralda and Ariel of course. (Sidenote- I have seen Esmeralda...wait I saw Esmeralda..I'm not there anymore...and you can see Quasi once in a great while. But Phoebus? The guys a loser I guess)
Mulan...do you have to ask?
Tink and Wendy can both go...the Blue Fairy stays out.
Pocohantas? I suppose. (Favorite Pocohantas moment- "John Smith has been shot. Clearly the best thing for his health is to put him on a ship at sea for the next six months.")
No one remembers Penny so skip her. And Walt wouldn't approve of Jessica Rabbit so she's out. Aurora and Snow White have to stay I guess. Weird how omnipresent Aurora is at Disney parks.
Jane I guess. I mean, why not?
A whole bunch of chicks from Atlantis. Uh, I'm gonna say no to all of you. Next time, make a better movie.
Captain Amelia? Sorry, I'm gonna invoke the rarely seen but still crucial "If your movie is a huge bomb that nearly kills the traditional animation genre then you can't be in this web poll" rule. I knew they came up with that one for a reason.
Lilo for sure... Nani I guess.
There.
Dad can I make a suggestion? Arbitrarily seed the finalists so that a major character like say, Belle is up against some one with no prayer of winning, like say...Megara in the first round. And how come you came up with 32 villains but are only using 16 female leads?

5 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Ben,
Wierd, Ive never seen Quasi but I have seen Pheobus. I thought that was strange at the time that poor Quasi was no were to be seen so maybe someone higher up took pity on him and let him be a character.
I did not vote for Sleeping Beauty to be included because as dad said she does nothing the whole movie but fall asleep and wait to be rescued.
Jen

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really have time to go through the whole list, but I would like to add a few coments:
First of all, I think we need to look at just what makes a good herione. I think it should be somebody who shows enough determination to survive on her own, but due to difficulties beyond her control, finds herself needing to be rescued in some way. It may also be that some would-be heroines who don't exactly fit that description will still make the cut just based on the strength of their character or even on nostalgia or sheer popularity.
Jasmine - Sure, she was a tough cookie.
Alice - She gets my sympathy vote. Ehe's a classic Disney character who gets slighted because she's not a princess. You go girl!
Belle - hmmmm....OK, the Beast rescued her from the wolves, so she's cool.
El Winey, or Whinney.........Huh?
Cinderella - What can I say? She gave me an autograph and didn't flinch. I owe her one.
As for her Fairy God Mother - Sorry.
Widow Tweed - The movie ends with her cozying up with the villian. That's not very heroine-like.
Megara - She has a great theme song, and perhaps fits the above description of a heroine better than anyone. But, will her low movie rating be her undoing?
Esmeralda is a perfect fit, but Ariel doesn't have a leg to stand on. Hah!
I just can't think of Tinkerbell as a true heroine. But I think Wendy is just what we're looking for. She walked the plank with her head up for cryin' out loud!!!
Pocahontas - She was more of a hero than a heroine. Still, it's one of my favorite movies, so she's in. Man, those indians could carry a tune!
Penny - I don't know...She's just too young. They should make "The Rescuers, The College Years". Maybe then I'd consider it.
Jessica Rabbit was married to an actual rabbit. That's a little too kinky for me.
Snow Whte is the all-time classic Disney Princess, so she stays. But, I have to take a stand with Aurora. The only thing she did on her own in the whole movie was whine when she found out she couldn't marry some stranger she bumped into in the forest.
and then some other stuff....I have to go
One last thing...Lilo is too young, Nani will stand in for her.
YF

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, how can you not know that Eilonwy carried that movie. It was because of her that they got out of the Horned Kings castle. Taran only had the psychic pig. Which if there was ever a list of great animal hero/heroine thingys Hen Wen would have to be on. If only someone would make a list of animals. If only.
And I'm afraid I don't want Esmerelda to be included because she was voiced by Demi Moore. Sometimes a person just has to take a stand. Even though I think I might have accidentally voted for her.
Beany

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I was planning to kind of seed the finalists. That was pretty much the reason for the preliminary vote. As to why I'm only starting with 16 contestants - I suppose my answer is: I don't see you making one of these damn polls.
YF

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Oh, thats your answer for everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home