Monday, January 24, 2005

Dinosaur: Yea or Nay?

So now that I've ridden Dinosaur at AK a few times, I'm trying to decide if it warrants top ten inclusion. (During one ride today it stopped in between the two big scare moments, then stalled again at the very end when your back in the lab in the pitch dark)
Heres the pros and cons-
Cons- Its SHORT. I've just gotten comfortable in my seat and the ride is over.
A few cheesey effects. Some of the meteors are really fakey looking, oh and Mister Non- Swooping "Incoming" Pteronadon? I'm looking in your direction.
You have to sit through another of those intolerable pre-ride videos. (Bonus, at one point in the video, the guys head and the video screen behind him make a great hidden Mickey)

Pros-
It's scary as hell. Really, the little kids scream like crazy and, knowing whats coming, I still get a rush during the last thirty seconds.
Those animatronics are NICE. Especially the T-rex or whatever that runs after you.

I dunno, what do you think?

2 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Jesse and I went to DW on out honeymoon we got to ride Dinosaur when it was still called Countdown to Extinction and before they scaled down the scary factor. We bought the picture that they take during the ride and I'm hunched over with my hands over my ears and my mouth open in a big scream. Then, when Dad and I went we were like the only people on the ride. We even got our own jeep one time! It was still good but they did make it a lot less bumpy and it seems like they took out some of the dinos. I still like it though. And the T-Rex would still scare me if I rode that ride 100 times.
FYI, the timing on the ride seems a little bit better if you sit in the back row. Just my little tip.
Jen

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, this is your father.
Let's see....top ten....sure. It's the best ride at DAK. Is it flawed? Yes, but still really cool. Besides, if you remember your basic paleontology, no living person has ever actually seen a pteronadon in flight. Who knows, maybe they did just hang there in mid air without ever moving. Maybe they were filled with helium or something. Maybe they were just caveman piƱatas. We just don't know.
Oh, good job spotting that hidden Mickey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home