Wednesday, September 14, 2005

My Commercial Beef

Ok. I never saw these before I moved to Rochester. But in the couple years I've lived here, I've been fairly well bombarded with ads for a niche I wasn't previously aware of- Housing discrimination reporting.
Now, I'm certainly not saying this doesn't happen, but judging from how often I come across pleas to report housing discrimination, wether on the radio or TV, I can't help but wonder why I never saw them before. Its like some county agency down here just got a huge increase in their budget, and had to burn it up on a string of low-prodcution value commercials informing us all on the evils of housing discrimination. And they're all the same. Some white guy takes phone calls, in turn, from a woman with screaming children, then a guy with a Mexican accent, then a black guy, telling them all that he's already rented out the apartment listed. Then a white guy who sounds like he's got a stick up his ass calls, and the landlord is all like "Bingo!"
I just didn't realize it was such a huge problem down here.

And by the way, why CAN'T you deny an apartment to someone with a bunch of wailing urchins? If I had a room or single apartment I was renting out, I wouldn't want to be bothered by screaming kids.

2 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and just wait until those kids claim to read books that they've never actually read. See if you want to rent a room to them then...
YF

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay Im not against renting to parents with kids or anything but geez when I was calling around looking for a decent apartment I discovered that all the midpriced nice apartments in this town are "family apartments." This means I have the choice to either rent from the cheep apartments are taken up by 20somethings with nothing better to do than smoke crystal meth all day long then ask to bum them a smoke. Or the pricey apartments which still rent to families believe me I know. Now thes apartments are about the same as the mid-range family ones but about 400 MORE a month. So my beef is if I can be discriminated against why cant I not have a screeming child next to me hogging the pool when Im paying out the ying yang for my apartment. Sigh I have a house now so its irrelevant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home