Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Something has been bugging me for awhile...

And I think I know what it is.
Has anyone else read The Stand by Stephen King? Back about 10 years ago, King was my absolute favorite author, and The Stand was my absolute favorite book. I mean, I was obsessed with it. I could recite the cast of characters chapter and verse. I knew every minute detail, in minute detail. But over time, Stephen King fell out of my favor for various reasons. Now, looking back, I have come up with one, itty bitty little complaint about this book-
It's freakin' pointless.
I mean it. 60,000 pages of story for a total copout ending. Here, if you havent read the book, enjoy my recap of it.

(SPOILER WARNING!!!)
Ok, there is a big plauge. Almost everyone on earth dies. All kinds of people in America come together to battle the approaching evil. Now we'll spend thousands of pages developing characters and setting up the coming confrontation between good and evil and...you know what? Let's just have God blow the bad guys up with an A-Bomb. It renders the entire previous 100,000 pages of the book meaningless, but oh well.

Seriously. Just reading that, I can't believe how insane that is. Does anyone else feel this way? Am I wrong somehow?

3 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I've always thought that SK did that with all his books. It's like he spent years and years developing the story and the characters and then 5 minutes writing the ending. I always like his books as I am reading them and then at the end I think "All that work for that ending?"

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chef,

Sorry to break into your comment section - I can't find an email for you - but I just thought I'd pass on a personal reminder. We're hosting the third semi-annual Minnesota Organization of Bloggers event this Sunday, 5PM, at Town Hall Brewery (1430 S. Washington in Minneapolis, the heart of Seven Corners).
Hope you can make it! (RSVP to me, if you could...)

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I read The Stand I thought the first half of the book was a masterpiece. I couldn't put it down. I read all 1200 pages in about a day and a half. The second half took me about 10 years to read because I would fall asleep after each page. But, I kept going because I just knew the ending would make it all worth it. I still have a contract out on Stephen King.
YF

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

That Baseball Thing


This Space Left Blank :(

MOB Rules
Minnesota Organization of Bloggers
Baseball Thingy

Powered by Blogger

<